An important part of Georgiev, Todorov & Co.’s practice is the provision of full legal advice in the field of European Union law. It is an integral part of the legislation of each of the EU member states and occupies an important place in their legal systems. Many of the newly adopted laws are based on EU law, which also determines the enormous importance of its substantive knowledge.
Our team actively consults clients from various industries on issues related to the specifics of contracts, directives and regulations, covered by European Union law.
The successful practice of our law firm in applying EU law to the business environment in Bulgaria, gives our clients a guarantee for the provision of an adequate protection of their rights and legitimate interests with respect to avoiding consequences, arising from a possible incompatibility of national legislation with the EU law norms.
We have been recognized as a leading law firm in Bulgaria in the field of “EU and Competition” for over a decade by the international legal directory Legal 500.
- Georgiev, Todorov and Co. successfully represented BMF Port Burgas before the Supreme Administrative Court in a legal dispute with a licensed grid operator. The case was suspended because the Court of Justice of the European Union had to answer whether the requirement contained in Bulgarian law for operators to own property rights over the systems they govern was in accordance with European Union law. In its judgment C-31/18, the court held that the electricity pressure was the relevant criterion for distinguishing between transmission and distribution of electricity, in addition to the function performed by the network concerned, and it could determine whether the network was transmission or distribution within the meaning of this Directive/2009/72. The final decision of the Supreme Administrative Court is in full favour of our client, and confirms the possibility for end users to choose which grid operator to join, which until now was considered completely excluded. The latter is of utmost importance for the entire energy market in Bulgaria.
- Our client METRO Cash & Carry is the world leader in wholesale and the largest company in METRO GROUP – with a focus on business clients – independent entrepreneurs in the small and medium business industry. Georgiev, Todorov & Co. advises the Bulgarian company on issues related to competition law and consumer protection in the course of their advertising campaigns, as well as on their commercial sales and promotions. Our team recently advised the client on the need for changes in the marketing, pricing and labeling of their products during the promotion, as well as on the applicable legal requirements in compliance with the competition regulations.
- Our law firm recently represented the Bulgarian Telecommunication Company (BTC) in proceedings, initiated by the National Аssociation of Small and Medium-Sized Cable Operators for unfair competition. The subject of the case was claimed engagement in misleading advertising in relation to the provision of various services. The Commission for Protection of Competition (CPC) concluded that there was no violation.
- Georgiev, Todorov & Co advised NM Genomix regarding an unlawful termination of an agreement for distribution of medical products. The producer has signed an exclusive distribution agreement with another company, which ignores EU regulations by limiting the access of patients to other products and denying their right of a free choice.
- Consultations and court representation of NURTS Digital before the CPC. The subject of the case are prohibited agreements, concerted practices, and an abuse of a dominant position in relation to the termination of agreement for provision of communication services.