The tax department of our law firm offers comprehensive planning and consulting services to clients in various industry sectors, providing specialist tax advice in the areas of corporate finance, banking and real estate. Also, we successfully represent our clients before the Bulgarian tax authorities when there are differences in tax law interpretation. Most of our cases are high value.
Our key lawyer in the sector – Georgi Kostolov, has been recommended as a leading lawyer in the sector by the prestigious international legal publication Chambers and Partners for several years already and has been the exclusive contributor for Bulgaria for its Corporate Tax Guide for 2018 : Chambers and Partners_Corporate Tax 2018_Bulgaria.
- Georgiev, Todorov and Co. represents Bulgarian Posts in court on several high value matters, filed against the state company by banking institutions. We also represent the client in relation to an appeal against a revision act. The case covers the entire courier services sector and there is currently no court practice on it. The development of the case will affect the consideration of these issues for the past four years and will form the position of the tax authorities in the future with regard to the taxation of the universal postal service and the entire courier services sector. The case should also be decided in accordance with the position of the Court of Justice of the European Union on matters concerning courier services on the community market.
- Our law firm successfully represented ADM Bulgaria Trading in an arbitration procedure before the Bulgarian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (BCCI) in a lawsuit against Agren (a Bulgarian company engaged in wholesale of cereals and legumes) related to breach of contract for purchase and sale of wheat of significant value.
- The law firm represents MAILAN (formerly Abbott) in several appeals for tax liabilities.
- Georgiev, Todorov & Co. successfully assisted the international law firm Sidley Austin LLP on a matter of a confidential client in the procedures for appealing the refusal of the tax administration to refund a withheld high value tax on the basis of the Agreement on Avoidance of Double Taxation with a third country.
- Georgiev, Todorov and Co. Law Offices has successfully led two cases before the tax authorities in Bulgaria on behalf of New Image, in respect of levying VAT on the activity of producing films in Bulgaria.
- Our team successfully represented the heating plants of several regional cities – Burgas, Pleven, Sliven and Pernik before the Supreme Administrative Court in relation to refunds for excise duties.
- Legal consultancy on various tax issues is provided regularly to the Bulgarian Telecommunication Company.